Sunday, March 9, 2008

My daughter

I just read this on her myspace and was a bit saddened. She said...

' I still feel inferior to pretty girls. Since my parents split up I have become pretty independent and self-reliant. There are some people I'd kill for, less that I'd die for. You know who you are. "

I responded to her in writing. That was my first reaction. This was my response...to her myspace thing.

"You are quite independent, in some ways. And self-reliant in some as well. Not enough though. Cooking, cleaning, doing laundry and taking out trash do help and count.

You ARE one of the pretty girls. I never was. I know how that feels. But YOU truley are pretty. Ask Mike, ask Stedman. As Becca, she is pretty, and honest. You are not a cheerleader, you are not all fancy pants, priss pot, look at me.
And there are lots of lovely girls in your school. I think Kamika is stunningly beautiful, for example.

But so are you.
You are a pretty girl. Ask anyone.

What matters more chicka is this - you are kind, thoughtful, generous, patient, smart, a citizen of your community in all ways.

THAT will get you through life. Being pretty is a bonus.
A bonus that you have.

I love you,
Mom

At the moment I finished writing that she walked into the room, searching for printer paper, and I decided to chase her back across the house and make her talk about this a bit. She cannot explain why she feels inferior. So I wrestled with her physically and verbally and threw all the dog toys I could find at her as she shut me out. It is what we do to each other.

Next verbal exchange will be about who she would kill for. That disturbs me as well.
And who she would die for. And I wonder which list I fall into.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I've seen her picture. She's gorgeous. And I wouldn't be too concerned that she has people she'd kill or die for---or thinks she does. Teen years are all about passion. When she has a kid of her own, THEN she'll know who she'd kill or die for. She'll be shocked.